GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Ruthbridge& Cabot - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ruthbridge& Cabot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruthbridge& Cabot

A letter arrived at my address last week from Ruthbridge ltd. It was addressed to my son who hasn’t lived at this address for over ten years. He had a bad accident last year which ended up with him living here while he recuperated for three months. The first letter said :

Dear Mr XXXXX
    This residence has been identified to us as a forwarding address for our customer Mr Xxxx Xxxxx with whom we need to establish contact. This information was verified and supplied to us by a Credit Reference Agency. Please contact our offices immediately on telephone number 020 8734 3599 and quote reference number xxxxxxxxxxx at which time further information can be provided. If we receive no response within 10 days we may issue further correspondence or arrange for an agent to telephone you. Yours sincerely Miss Yvonne Richards Customer Relations Officer. I did not contact them as I had read on the internet that it was best not to admit any liability.

Today another letter arrived from them saying:
    Client Name:Cabot Financial Europe Ltd
    Client Reference: xxxxxxx
    Assigned from: MBNA
    Regarding: Credit Card
    Balance £xxxxxx

Dear Mr Xxxxx
    We hace been instructed by Cabot Financial Europe Limited who have passed the above debt to us for collection of the outstanding balance. As we have been appointed as their agent you should now make sure you contact us and not Cabot Financial Europe Limited. We are authorised to negotiate repayment of debt with you. Please contact us to discuss the repayment of the above account to avoid a recommendation to our client to proceed with further action against you for the recovery of the outstanding balance. Depending on your financial status, provision may be considered by way of an attractive settlement option which could substantially reduce the sum due. Alternatively, whilst we are happy to consider instalments we would like to make it clear, that such an arrangement would only be considered against the full outstanding balance. All payments should be sent to the above address and made payable to Ruthbridge Limited with our reference number, clearly stated at all times. Alternatively you can make payments by using our direct debit or card facilities on the above telephone number. Yours sincerely Mr Marcus Graeme Recovery Division.

I have rung my son today about this and he says that he cannot remember when he had an MBNA Credit Card but that he has not had one since moving away from this address some ten years ago.
    He is going to his bank today to see if he can find out when any last payments where made to this company. Is there a way that we could find out exactly when he had this card without speaking to Ruthbridge which I know is not a wise thing to do. When my son was here for a short while last year I paid some debts off for him which had come to light but I am not in a position to pay off this amount.
    I would be so grateful of any help that you could give me.
    Last edited by Haventaclue; 14 May 2012, 21:39.

Re: Ruthbridge& Cabot

Hiya

As per my email. This is likely statute barred. Please confirm from bank when it was last paid. Do not approach the dca. Ignore them but advance SAR the bank that paid DD's to mbna.

Someone will link SAR template for you. I'm on phone so can't do it just now.

Keep us updated and don't worry. It'll be fine.
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

My son has been to his bank today and together they have gone through his account for the last six years (which they said is as far as they can go) and they checked all outgoings for £50 and over and could not find anything for MBNA. I have told him to go back tomorrow and do another check but ask them to reduce the sum payable to £20 as he was very young when he had a credit card with MBNA and his credit limit would have been low and he probably only ever made minimum payment. He also spoke to some one on national debt line and told them that when he checked his credit rating last year that there was nothing on it to do with MBNA and that his credit rating was good-very good.

Comment

Originally posted by Haventaclue View Post
        My son has been to his bank today and together they have gone through his account for the last six years (which they said is as far as they can go) and they checked all outgoings for £50 and over and could not find anything for MBNA. I have told him to go back tomorrow and do another check but ask them to reduce the sum payable to £20 as he was very young when he had a credit card with MBNA and his credit limit would have been low and he probably only ever made minimum payment. He also spoke to some one on national debt line and told them that when he checked his credit rating last year that there was nothing on it to do with MBNA and that his credit rating was good-very good.
        Ok thats good news, but be a little careful as the assumption here is that payment would have come from that particular bank.

Did your son have any other bank accounts at the time?

It is also possible that payments may have been made by cash over the counter so cash withdrawals may have been made.

It is also possible, that the debt is not your sons, or that they have mixed up his account with someone elses.

Don't think these companies can't make mistakes, they do, frequently!

By the sounds of things, it is very likely that the debt (if it exists) is statute barred, so you can tell them to go and whistle.

SAR - subject access request - as advised is the best way to go here with the ORIGINAL creditor. Ignore the threats from the DCA, once you have established it is SB you can tell them to GFAM.

When you send the letter, ensure that it is not hand-signed.

If the DCA hound and ramp the pressure up you can then send them an 'account in dispute' letter but one thing at a time.

Best
        SnV
        "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltnVinegar View Post
          Ok thats good news, but be a little careful as the assumption here is that payment would have come from that particular bank.

Did your son have any other bank accounts at the time?

It is also possible that payments may have been made by cash over the counter so cash withdrawals may have been made.

It is also possible, that the debt is not your sons, or that they have mixed up his account with someone elses.

Don't think these companies can't make mistakes, they do, frequently!

By the sounds of things, it is very likely that the debt (if it exists) is statute barred, so you can tell them to go and whistle.

SAR - subject access request - as advised is the best way to go here with the ORIGINAL creditor. Ignore the threats from the DCA, once you have established it is SB you can tell them to GFAM.

When you send the letter, ensure that it is not hand-signed.

If the DCA hound and ramp the pressure up you can then send them an 'account in dispute' letter but one thing at a time.

Best
          SnV
          Who do we send the SAR to?? New to all this and some of the jargon confuses me.

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
            Hiya

As per my email. This is likely statute barred. Please confirm from bank when it was last paid. Do not approach the dca. Ignore them but advance sar the bank that paid DD's to MBNA.
            See the text in red. ^^^^

Comment

GFAM - f*ck off!
              "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Basically you go to the bank to get proof you last paid 6+ years ago and THEN we go back to the dca with a lovely "go forth & multiply" letter but before any assumptions are made we must ensure the dates are right.

He's moved. The card could be registered to an old address thus check ANY bank he used at that time.

Post back when your SAR comes. As the SAR is a different bank to the debt sign it normally to expedite the SAR info.
                I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Hopefully it makes more sense now?

The SAR template was posted above (thanks FP) - remember a £10 cheque.

Comment

My son is going back to the bank again tomorrow. If he can get a printout of the last six years showing no payments have been made to MBNA will we still need to send the SAR?

In answer to another question, when he first started work he had an account with the Woolwich and after about two years he closed this account and went to Nat West. This was about fourteen years ago now and is the only bank account he has.

Comment

If the bank are doing this for free then no need for SAR.....

Ok, so I assume the bank is Natwest that he's going to see in the morning>

Comment

Yes Nat West is his bank. I've asked him to find out if the bank will get him a full list of any direct debits that have ever been paid out. He got one last year for his current direct debits so hopefully it won't be a problem to get past direct debits as well. I noticed from today's letter from Ruthbridge that there is no time scale for getting in touch with them regarding making any payment. Is this usual? Do you think that they have just jumped onto the bandwagon because of the other debts that I paid off for him last year?

Forgot to mention in original post that along with the second letter received from Ruthbridge today was an additional letter from Cabot stating 'External Agency Recovery Notification' This letter is to notify you that as we have not come to a mutual agreement to repay your account, Cabot Financial will be passing your account out to Ruthbridge Limited, a debt collection agency. Ruthbridge Limited will contact you within the next 7 days, in order to work with you in setting up a sustainable repayment arrangement andensure your account is cleared, whilst taking into account your personal circumstances. The enclosed letter provides details of how you can contact Ruthbridge Limited if you wish to speak to them directly. Yours sincerely Peter Anderson Customer Liason Manager.

This is the first time that my son has had any contact from Cabot. Am I right in thinking that Cabot have now sold this so called debt to Ruthbridge?
                        Last edited by Haventaclue; 14 May 2012, 16:59.

Comment

Don't worry. See what bank say.

Comment

Just to update on the above. After checking with his bank again and equifax my son can see no outstanding debts.Received another letter from Ruthbridge today offering a very attractive discount of 80%. Thanks to this forum and advise from Niddy it will be going in the filing cabinet with everything else. First time that a letter from these scum hasn't got me worried. Thanks everyone.

Comment

Working...
                            X