GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script what can you claim back from store cards? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what can you claim back from store cards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what can you claim back from store cards?

hello

has anyone claimed anything back from store cards?
    if so what can you claim back?

i know you cant claim the interest back that they charge on each statement but can you claim fees for late payments? being over credit limit?

thanks!

Re: what can you claim back from store cards?

what exactly do you want to claim back? and why?

Comment

argos card - late payment/overlimit fees kept being applied to my account when they knew i was in a DMP making reduced payments, so it just kept increasing the amount i owed back to them! its a long shot so was just looking for advice.

Comment

your DMP provider should have negotiated this out for you, but many don't bother making the whole thing even more of a farce.

If you are looking at UE and therefore not going to pay the balance, who cares what it is?

if your not paying, it doesn't really matter. many of ours were still sticking stupid charges on well into the UE process, all of ours reached SB, didn't really matter in the long run.

Comment

Was this a Home Shopping store card or an Argos branded credit card (issued by vanquis)?

You can reclaim whatever you want if you feel there are errors however usually when you write in, if you have a case you'd find they'd make an offer. You could then send for all data (SAR) and go through everything tallying the "charges" etc to see what your figure is. Add 8% interest and then go from there. Argue it or take it. However if you're in debt / in a DMP they'll offset the refund into the account - ergo in that instance & in my view it'd be a totally counter-productive exercise.
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
            Was this a Home Shopping store card or an Argos branded credit card (issued by vanquis)?

You can reclaim whatever you want if you feel there are errors however usually when you write in, if you have a case you'd find they'd make an offer. You could then send for all data (SAR) and go through everything tallying the "charges" etc to see what your figure is. Add 8% interest and then go from there. Argue it or take it. However if you're in debt / in a DMP they'll offset the refund into the account - ergo in that instance & in my view it'd be a totally counter-productive exercise.
            its a store card, im not sure if i have grounds to claim the interest they kept adding to the account whilst knowing i was in a DMP obviously struggling, i dont think i could.

Comment

Originally posted by LeeC View Post
              its a store card, im not sure if i have grounds to claim the interest they kept adding to the account whilst knowing i was in a DMP obviously struggling, i dont think i could.
              No, you can't reclaim it, there is no legal obligation to freeze interest. Over the years there's been a number of shocking stories regarding DMPs, arrangements to pay and debts quietly growing in the background. While people thought their payments were reducing the debt, interest was being added at the same rate as when the account was live, resulting in either most of the payments going towards interest with only a minimal reduction of the debt or even an increased amount outstanding despite ongoing repayments.

Comment

YES there is provision for reclaiming interest; however usually you'd negotiate a freeze at the start.

If you go on a DMP then they ought to be stopping interest & charges but you / your DMP provider negotiate that. This is why we say do a DIY DMP as then these things are covered.
                I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

thanks for the post NID, well i definitly would like to try and claim back the late payment fees and overlimit fees but dont seem to be able to find a template to send into them

Comment

is this a fully paid off debt? as Nids sid it's a bit counter productive if it isn't paid off as they could pay anything you get into the account to clear off some of the balance/

Comment

To go with advice above, my first question would be was he account ever sold to a third party - a Debt Collection Agency. If it was, then there is a good cause for reclaiming the fees - you would get the money. If however it was not sold, then as above any claim would go towards the debt (assuming this has not already been paid off).

Suppose it all depends on the number fees applied and if you want the hassle for what could be a small amount - not the first time a creditor has dragged their feet hoping you would "go away"
                      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

To clarify it doesn't need to be sold / serviced. It must be definitively assigned full rights & title. Only then would the new dca be unable to offset any refund to the debt.

Please clarify how much is owed and which dca is hassling you. Then we'll be able to help answer appropriately.

Comment

well argos sold the debt onto an agency called zinc group limited, all the fees i am referring to were actually applied by argos when the debt was still with them so it looks like it could just get offset against the current balance, think you guys are right.

Comment

So why not send off for a CCA and see what that brings.....

Comment

Working...
                            X