GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script In £9.5k debt from identity fraud by abusive ex - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In £9.5k debt from identity fraud by abusive ex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In £9.5k debt from identity fraud by abusive ex

I was in a relationship with a man who was both physically and emotionally abusive.
    He had used my bank account to commit fraud and HSBC held me liable for the debt from the fraud which is £9,566. I managed to find another place to move to and made sure that I lay low and was virtually untraceable on social media and the internet.

I never told the police about the abuse at the time for fear of him being arrested then released and onto me. However I did report the fraud to the police through and they replied a few months later saying that they cannot follow up on it as there is not enough evidence.

Now HSBC are harassing me to pay back the debt,
    I'm a 22 year old student who cannot pay back such a large amount. Although I am terrified of him I tried to locate him so the police can find him yet he is nowhere to be found and I believe now that he had been using a fake identity whilst with me.

HSBC have been immensely unhelpful,
    I have gone back and forth into branches and made numerous which have all been useless and I cannot take out debt relief management plans or file for a DRO or bankruptcy because the debt is from frau
    They also filed a flag marker against my name so I have to use an online bank now and will not be able to get jobs in many sectors when I finish uni, for

I opened a case with the Financial which is taking a long time but have been studying hundreds of their decisions on similar cases and they never rule in the favour of the victim/consumer, so I am not confident.

What do I do?
    Last edited by The Tech Clerk; 4 November 2018, 16:30. Reason: Cag info

Diana Mayhew Warwick65
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hi
      A couple of observations and then a couple of questions

You say you are virtually untraceable on social media - I know for a 22 year old that is a big deal but why not quit all social media for a while- you may be surprised at how many were are out there.

From what you say iy seems HSBC realise there is fraud involved but for reasons they and only they know seem to think you are involved with the fraud and have marked a CIFAS mark against you. Is that correct?

You say this man is untraceable - was he also a student or a local who you met - I ask because the Uni should have some records if he was a student

In order to give a bit more advice a few more details are needed, such as what type of fraud did he commit ?

Sorry not to be that much use at the moment

Comment

Originally posted by 90sbornincog View Post
        I did report the fraud to the police through and they replied a few months later saying that they cannot follow up on it as there is not enough evidence.

.. . . I cannot take out debt relief management plans or file for a DRO or bankruptcy because the debt is from fraud

I opened a case with the Financial which is taking a long time

What a nightmare for you.

The bank (HSBC) and the police say not enough evidence to prove a fraud.

You've been advised (by who?) that you can't include the perceived debt in a DRO since it's not your debt despite HSBC and the police saying it is in the absence of any evidence to the contrary.

I'm pleased to see you've made a complaint to the FOS which is ongoing. See what they have to say before loosing heart.

Di

Comment

Originally posted by Warwick65 View Post
          Hi
          A couple of observations and then a couple of questions

You say you are virtually untraceable on social media - I know for a 22 year old that is a big deal but why not quit all social media for a while- you may be surprised at how many were are out there.

From what you say iy seems HSBC realise there is fraud involved but for reasons they and only they know seem to think you are involved with the fraud and have marked a CIFAS mark against you. Is that correct?

You say this man is untraceable - was he also a student or a local who you met - I ask because the Uni should have some records if he was a student

In order to give a bit more advice a few more details are needed, such as what type of fraud did he commit ?

Sorry not to be that much use at the moment
          Yes that is correct.

He was not in university, he was a local I had met at a club.

He did money laundering.

Comment

Originally posted by Diana Mayhew View Post

What a nightmare for you.

The bank (HSBC) and the police say not enough evidence to prove a fraud.

You've been advised (by who?) that you can't include the perceived debt in a DRO since it's not your debt despite HSBC and the police saying it is in the absence of any evidence to the contrary.

I'm pleased to see you've made a complaint to the FOS which is ongoing. See what they have to say before loosing heart.

Di
            Citizens Advice Bureau told me that since the debt is from fraud it will not be discharged after one year. The police saying there is not enough evidence I interpret as not enough for them to help me, not enough evidence that I was not involved.
            I'm not feeling hopeful about the FOS, I have looked at many of their decisions and they often side with the banks even when the consumer's case is valid.

Comment

Working...
            X