GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Debt collector tracking down - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Debt collector tracking down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debt collector tracking down

Hello,

I'm hoping for a bit of help/advice if at all possible. I had a letter from a collector that is really panicking me. I've just got a temporary new address, but I am still keeping the old address, long story but all above board.The last thing I wanted was chasing from debt collectors to start at the temporary address too but I got a letter from a dca saying that they are aware i have applied for credit (!) at an address other than my own but that the address is linked to my address and I have to get in touch.

I know this must be something to do with the credit file and gas or electric but how much information do they have on me now, do they know all the details of the new address etc? Thanks very much.

Re: Debt collector tracking down

Originally posted by tryingto
    Hello,

I'm hoping for a bit of help/advice if at all possible. I had a letter from a collector that is really panicking me. I've just got a temporary new address, but I am still keeping the old address, long story but all above board.The last thing I wanted was chasing from debt collectors to start at the temporary address too but I got a letter from a dca saying that they are aware i have applied for credit (!) at an address other than my own but that the address is linked to my address and I have to get in touch.

I know this must be something to do with the credit file and gas or electric but how much information do they have on me now, do they know all the details of the new address etc? Thanks very much.
    Hiya

So long as you've NOT gone to British Gas you'll be fine, BG are the only one to credit search you. If you have gone to them then get back to them and cancel your contract and move elsewhere threatening them with breach of DPA and issue a s.10 cease and desist processing notice.

Bit late now unfortunately, the link will have been created. You'd be better getting someone of the opposite sex to call the dca that wrote and say they've never heard of you and to remove their details as they have the wrong address - that will break the link. Also, do not move ANY live accounts to the new address or the link will again, follow you there.
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Hi Niddy,

Thanks for this. I am kicking myself, it is Scottish Gas so I think it will be the same. Can't believe I have done this. I will do exactly as you have suggested and I know now never to move any accounts over. It was a new fresh account but I can only think they must have searched the last address and that is somehow now on the credit file too or something, the last thing I need. Thanks very much.

Comment

Originally posted by tryingto
        Hi Niddy,

Thanks for this. I am kicking myself, it is Scottish Gas so I think it will be the same. Can't believe I have done this. I will do exactly as you have suggested and I know now never to move any accounts over. It was a new fresh account but I can only think they must have searched the last address and that is somehow now on the credit file too or something, the last thing I need. Thanks very much.
        Ooops, sorry - I know it is a pain, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

BG started to credit check people from last year - buggers, they should not be allowed to! Especially cos they hide the fact! If you'd have known they were to credit check you then I bet you'd have gone elsewhere, right? Thus they should cancel and backdate your account retrospectively and also remove all data from the CRA as you NEVER gave permission to share data let alone for them to credit check you.
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Definitely, there is no way if I'd have known there was a credit check I'd have gone with them, not in a million years! Another lesson learned for me! Thanks again, Nid.

Comment

Hope you get this sorted..... y

Comment

Working...
            X