GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Debt with Disability News Articles - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Debt with Disability News Articles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Debt with Disability News Articles

[B][SIZE=4]Government's Use of Atos to Combat Benefit Fraud Is Flawed, Costly and Counter-productive[/SIZE][/B]

Benefit scroungers. They're everywhere, according to the tabloids. They laze about, watching Sky TV on their giant plasmas, whilst decent, hardworking taxpayers pay for their various addictions and holidays abroad.
    But are they really everywhere? Despite the hype, the figures show the claimants in a different light. According to the government, who should know about these things, the Incapacity Benefit 'Fraud and Error' figure is 2.4%. Of this 2.4%, [URL="http://statistics.dwp.gov.uk/asd/asd2/fem/fem_oct09_sep10.pdf"]only 0.3% is down to fraud.[/URL] This amounts to a loss of £20m. The rest is down to customer error (0.9% or £50m) and official error (1.2% or £70m). It would appear that not that many people are faking a sore back or depression after all.

More:

[URL]http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/kit-marsters/atos-flawed-costly-and-counterproductive_b_1174482.html?show_comment_id=125943886#comment_125943886[/URL]
    Last edited by pompeyfaith; 31 December 2011, 01:03.

Comment

[CENTER][B]£150m home care boost for elderly patients[/B]
      [/CENTER]

Ministers have allocated an extra £150m for patients to get care at home after warnings that local authority cuts were creating a "crisis" in social care. Health Secretary Andrew Lansley said the cash for England has been found from efficiency savings in his budget. Another £20m will also be directed to the disabled facilities grant to help people live independently at home. Last week the charity Age UK warned that cuts could leave older people with "absolutely no support at all". Mr Lansley said: "Older people often need particular support after a spell in hospital to settle back into their homes, recover their strength and regain their independence....[B]Read more here---: [URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16380736"]BBC News - £150m home care boost for elderly patients[/URL][/B]
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

[CENTER][B]Sharp rise in social care fees a stealth tax - Labour[/B]
        [/CENTER]

There has been a sharp rise in the cost of council services for elderly and disabled people, Labour has warned. Data from 93 out of 153 councils in England showed fees for meals on wheels has gone up by 13% over the last two years, while transport rose by 33%. The survey also found huge regional variations in the charges, which Labour says have become a stealth tax. The government said local authorities were responsible for non-residential care and changes should be affordable. Cross-party talks on the future funding of care are to begin in the new year, the BBC understands.....[B]Read more here---: [URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-16353807"]BBC News - Sharp rise in social care fees a stealth tax - Labour [/URL][/B]
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

[CENTER][B][SIZE=3]Long-term care: why the system is close to breaking point[/SIZE][/B]
          [/CENTER]

[B][SIZE=2][/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][I]Source: Telegraph:[/I][/SIZE] We explain who is entitled to state help, and why experts think the system needs to be reformed. [/SIZE][/B]

Hundreds of thousands of elderly people are at risk of "terrible abuse and neglect" through the failings of Britain's [URL="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/insurance/longtermcare/"][B]care system[/B][/URL], experts stated in a letter published in The Telegraph.

What can those approaching the age when care may be needed, or who have relatives in this situation do about funding long term care? The following answers may help to shed some light.

[B] Q. What are people saying is the problem with the long-term care system? [/B]

A. Experts including members of Age UK, the British Medical Association and Carers UK signed a letter in the Telegraph backing proposals that no one should pay more than £35,000 for care bills in their lifetime. They said around 800,000 pensioners were being left without basic care, and thousands were forced to use up their savings and sell their homes to meet care bills.

[B] Q. What do they want to do about it? [/B]

A. These experts are backing proposals from Andrew Dilnot, who published a report into the funding of long-term care in the summer. He prop proposed that those with assets of less than £100,000 should not pay fees at all, and that those who are liable to pay should have costs capped at £35,000. But these proposals could proved costly for a cash-strapped Treasury – and it seems unlikely any change will happen before 2014, if at all. The letter calls on Mr Cameron to secure cross-party support for lasting reform of the care system – claiming that otherwise it will continue to condemn pensioners to "a life of loneliness".

[CENTER][B]Read more here---: [URL="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/insurance/longtermcare/8990136/Long-term-care-why-the-system-is-close-to-breaking-point.html"]Long-term care: why the system is close to breaking point - Telegraph[/URL][/B]
          [/CENTER]

Comment

[CENTER][B]Politicians urged to seize chance to change social care[/B]
            [/CENTER]

Politicians from all parties have been urged to work together to find a way to overhaul the "failing" social care system in England. Cross-party talks about the care given to the elderly and disabled failed in 2010 but will start again this month. In an open letter, charities, faith-based groups and senior figures in the NHS and local government say the opportunity must not be missed. Plans to reform social care will be put forward in the spring, ministers said. But before that politicians are seeking to achieve cross-party consensus on the best way forward....[B]Read more here--: [URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-16365235"]BBC News - Politicians urged to seize chance to change social care[/URL][/B]

Comment

[CENTER][B]Easyjet loses disability discrimination case in France[/B]
              [/CENTER]

A French court finds low-cost British airline Easyjet guilty of discriminating against three disabled passengers in 2008 and 2009.
              The court fined Easyjet 70,000 euros ($90,000, £58,000) for refusing to allow the three unaccompanied wheelchair users onto a plane at Charles de Gaulle airport near Paris, blaming security concerns. A lawyer for the three passengers described it as a "landmark ruling". Easyjet had denied any discrimination. During the trial prosecutor Abdelkrim Grini said Easyjet's business model was behind the discrimination. He accused the company of having "an aggressive commercial policy that consists of reducing operating costs as much as possible".

A lawyer for the three passengers who brought the case, Patrick de la Grange, said: "This is an economic model that's being punished, that of low-cost. With cost reductions, the aim is to have as few personnel as possible." Easyjet said it was disappointed with the outcome. "The company denies having had any discriminatory intention whatsoever," company lawyer, Philippe Van der Meulen said, adding that Easyjet would consider appealing against the verdict....[B].Read more here--: [URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-16552904"]BBC News - Easyjet loses disability discrimination case in France[/URL][/B]

Comment

[B][SIZE=4]Concessions offered over disability benefit changes[/SIZE][/B]

Ministers are set to make further concessions over controversial proposed changes to disability benefits.
                The government have agreed to halve the time seriously ill or disabled people will have to wait to be eligible for Personal Independence Payments (PIPs) from six to three months.
                The move came after peers defeated the coalition over other welfare changes.
                No 10 said the government had listened to disability groups' concerns but campaigners wanted further changes.
                Peers are currently debating the government's welfare bill, one of its flagship pieces of legislation, which ministers want to become law by the end of parliamentary session in May.

More:

[URL]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-16573348[/URL]

Comment

you posted before me PF

Comment

5corpio,

Sorry m8 that was quite important so wanted to get it on soon as.

Regards

Comment

[CENTER]The government is coming under pressure in the House of Lords to reverse some of its proposals in its [B][URL="http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2010-11/welfarereform.html"]Welfare Reform Bill[/URL][/B].
                      [/CENTER]

[B]What are the main flashpoints?[/B]
                      Ministers are seeking to reduce entitlements to other benefits:

[COLOR=Navy]Disability Living Allowance (DLA), introduced in 1992 to help disabled people cope with their extra daily costs, to be replaced with a Personal Independence Payment (PIP). Upfront medical tests and regular assessments introduced[/COLOR].

[B]Who is unhappy with the changes?

[/B][COLOR=Navy]In the Lords, cross-bench peers - who are not affiliated to any party - have been among the most vocal critics. They have joined forces with Labour peers to propose amendments and have defeated the government on four occasions so far. On DLA, they want guarantees that assessment tests will be piloted first and those doing them must consult healthcare professionals.

[COLOR=Black][B]Forum Blog Link Of Q&A to above Welfare Reform Bill[/B]: [B][URL="http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/blog.php?b=954"]QA: Welfare changes row - allaboutFORUMS[/URL][/B][/COLOR]
                      [/COLOR]

Comment

[CENTER][B]MPs doubt supermarket scheme to spot carers[/B]
                        [/CENTER]

Using supermarkets to identify carers has been described as a "bemusing" and "nonsense headline-grabbing idea" by members of the health select committee. Sainsbury's has begun training staff to look for signs that customers may be caring for elderly or disabled people. They are told to give those doing two lots of shopping at once, or collecting two lots of prescriptions, information about services for carers in the area.

Minister Paul Burstow said it was one of several ways used to spot carers. Sainsbury's [B][URL="http://www.j-sainsbury.co.uk/media/latest-stories/2011/20110613-sainsburys-stores-to-identify-and-support-the-nations-carers/"]announced last summer[/URL][/B] that it was working with the Department of Health on its scheme which aimed to identify "hidden carers" - those who do not think of themselves as carers, despite looking after someone.

[B]'Real problem'[/B]

At a committee hearing Labour MP Barbara Keeley said she was "bemused" by the scheme. She questioned whether using supermarkets was the best way of identifying others in a similar situation. "To identify carers through a double shop at Sainsbury's when there is the possibility to direct GPs through their contract to do this... I mean really, are we taking this issue of our commitment to carers seriously at all?" she said.....[B]Read more here---: [URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-16599146"]BBC News - MPs doubt supermarket scheme to spot carers[/URL][/B]

Comment

[QUOTE=5corpio;145938][CENTER]The government is coming under pressure in the House of Lords to reverse some of its proposals in its [B][URL="http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2010-11/welfarereform.html"]Welfare Reform Bill[/URL][/B].
                          [/CENTER]

[B]What are the main flashpoints?[/B]
                          Ministers are seeking to reduce entitlements to other benefits:

[COLOR=Navy]Disability Living Allowance (DLA), introduced in 1992 to help disabled people cope with their extra daily costs, to be replaced with a Personal Independence Payment (PIP). Upfront medical tests and regular assessments introduced[/COLOR].

[B]Who is unhappy with the changes?

[/B][COLOR=Navy]In the Lords, cross-bench peers - who are not affiliated to any party - have been among the most vocal critics. They have joined forces with Labour peers to propose amendments and have defeated the government on four occasions so far. On DLA, they want guarantees that assessment tests will be piloted first and those doing them must consult healthcare professionals.

[COLOR=Black][B]Forum Blog Link Of Q&A to above Welfare Reform Bill[/B]: [B][URL="http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/blog.php?b=954"]QA: Welfare changes row - allaboutFORUMS[/URL]
                          [/B][/COLOR] [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Government defeat amendments by 16 votes [IMG]http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/images/smilies/Generic%20Smileys/eek.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/images/smilies/Generic%20Smileys/th_2m4roya_th.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/images/smilies/Generic%20Smileys/1-speechless.gif[/IMG]

Comment

[CENTER][B][SIZE=3]Minister warns elderly must release home equity or buy separate annuities to pay for care[/SIZE][/B]
                            [/CENTER]

The elderly may have to raid their pension pots and free up equity in their homes to fund their care needs in old age, a minister warned yesterday. Paul Burstow said those approaching retirement needed to ‘plan and prepare earlier’ how they will raise money to pay for residential care and services such as home helps. This could mean using tens of thousands of pounds worth of the value of their homes, or taking out special annuity schemes under which part of their pensions savings would be diverted towards any future care costs.

The minister said this would allow the system to ‘access various sources of wealth’ that currently were not being used to pay for care. Critics said it was disgraceful that pensioners will be left to raid funds they had thriftily saved, despite having paid taxes all their lives. Meanwhile, those who had squandered their money or lived off the State will get free care.....[B]Read more here--: [URL="http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/pensions/article-2088202/Minister-warns-elderly-release-home-equity-buy-separate-annuities-pay-care.html"]Minister warns elderly must release home equity or buy separate annuities to pay for care
                            [/URL][/B]

Comment

[QUOTE=pompeyfaith;145941]Government defeat amendments by 16 votes [IMG]http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/images/smilies/Generic%20Smileys/eek.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/images/smilies/Generic%20Smileys/th_2m4roya_th.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/images/smilies/Generic%20Smileys/1-speechless.gif[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Stinks of Machiavellian process more than the defeat on Bank Charges did.

Comment

The system stinks!!!!:mad:mad

Comment

Working...
                                X