GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Debt with Disability News Articles - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Debt with Disability News Articles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Debt with Disability News Articles

The Health and Social Care Act comes into force on 1 April with serious consequences for the poor.

[U][I][B]Source:[/B][/I][/U] [B][URL="http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/mar/30/health-act-means-death-of-nhs"]Health act means the death of the NHS as we know it [/URL]

[/B] I am a GP in Tower Hamlets, east London. Our centre is a stone's throw from the Olympic Park in Stratford. After the greatest show on earth left town, life here quickly returned to normal – Tower Hamlets is one of the most deprived boroughs in the country. Just before the Olympics, an eight-year-old boy came to see me. He was taking part in the opening ceremony and had developed a pain in his foot brought on by intense rehearsals. As I sat down to watch the ceremony, I kept an eye out for my young patient. Like thousands of [URL="http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/nhs"]NHS[/URL] staff, I felt very proud that Danny Boyle's extravaganza celebrated the NHS as a singular achievement in universal, free healthcare. The [URL="http://www.bbbc.org.uk/"]Bromley by Bow Centre[/URL], where I work, is [URL="http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/feb/06/in-praise-of-bromley-by-bow-centre"]renowned as a model of holistic healthcare[/URL] and is funded by the NHS and the voluntary and private sectors. You could even argue that it is a microcosm of what David Cameron's Big Society might look like. Andrew Lansley gave his first speech as health secretary here. The Downing Street rose garden press conference and honeymoon period of the coalition now seem a long time ago. The 2010 Conservative manifesto promised to stop "the top-down reconfigurations of NHS services, imposed from Whitehall" but, only weeks into government, the mother of all reconfigurations was unveiled.

[B][URL="http://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/health-committee/inquiries/parliament-2010/13-03-15-implementation-of-the-health-and-social-care-act-2012/"]The act comes into effect on Monday[/URL].[/B] Very few people understand its implications but it will affect each of us arguably more than any other legislation passed in our lifetimes. It is the final stage in the systematic dismantling of the NHS – a process that began about 25 years ago – carried out by stealth. The government's case for change largely rests on the premise of the NHS no longer being affordable, particularly in the current climate, and that it needs to be modernised. While there is evidently room for improvement, research overwhelmingly shows that the NHS performs well compared to other healthcare systems internationally, is cost-effective and rated highly by patients. The [B][URL="http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2012/7/contents"]Health and Social Care Act 2012[/URL][/B] is virtually impenetrable but the main thrust of it is: primary care trusts and strategic health authorities will be disbanded. In their place, clinical commissioning groups – also known as GP consortia – will control about £60bn of the NHS budget and commission local services. Commissioning will take place through competitive tendering. NHS contracts will be opened to the voluntary and private sectors. Already, £250m of NHS services have been forced open, with 105 private firms granted contracts. This year, a further £750m of services will be tendered. The NHS annual budget is more than £100bn – there are huge profits to be made for private healthcare companies.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

[B]Disability Living Allowance replaced by PIP scheme[/B]

Major changes to disability benefits for new claimants are being introduced in some parts of the UK ahead of a national roll-out of the new measures. It is the start of the replacement of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) by Personal Independence Payments (PIP). Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith said the current "ridiculous" system where people were given benefit with no further checks must end. But charity Scope says the changes have been designed just to save money. That claim has been denied by the government, which says spending will not be reduced, but more help will be given to those who need it most. PIPs will be introduced gradually for new claimants, starting in northern England. The disability charity says 600,000 people will eventually lose their financial support.....[URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22058059"][B]Read more here[/B][/URL]
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

[B]Organisations launch help for powers of attorney - New guidance for people who manage a bank account on behalf of someone else due to mental incapacity or illness has been launched.....Read more from AAD Blog pages: [URL="http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/blog.php?b=2012"]Organisations launch help for powers of attorney - allaboutFORUMS[/URL]
        [/B]

Comment

[B]Private ambulances 'risk patient safety'[/B]

An apparent increase in the use of private ambulances in the NHS is a risk to patient safety, Labour has warned. It says freedom of information requests show spending on private vehicles by three English ambulance services rose by millions over two years. Shadow health secretary Andy Burnham said the services were "being privatised without proper debate". The government accused Labour of "rank hypocrisy", saying private ambulances were introduced by the last government. The figures showed an increase in spending of £5.4m on private contractors by the South East Coast Ambulance Service, from £1.9m, in 2010/2011, to £7.3m, in 2012/2013. In London, that figure rose by more then £3.8m, from less than £400,000, in 2010/2011, to £4.2m, in 2012/2013. In Yorkshire the figure rose £1.3m, from £500,000 to £1.8m.

[B]'Crude privatisation'[/B]
          Mr Burnham is asking Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt for "urgent assurances about the safety and quality" of private ambulances.
          He said people would be "stunned to learn that even blue-light 999 services are being privatised". "It is proof that the coalition sees no limits on privatisation in the NHS," he added. "They are driving the private sector into the public core of the NHS, offering up essential emergency provision to the lowest bidder.".....[URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22237075"][B]Read more here[/B][/URL]

Comment

Obviousness? that the Gov' don't want to take back the NHS, since they screwed it by selling (parts) to the Trust and Privatisation of corporate comapnies.......So much is owed now, by the hospitals is that the Gov' Won't bail them out 'hang and Quater' main is going to happen in the end. But they stand by and bail out banks to save them BUT they don't with the NHS?

Again - All BIG WIGS (Banks, CEO, titles, Gov officals are Pilchards that still remains this day to be placed on a Rock in the middle of the ocean with...................

Comment

Indeed 5corpio and I am beginning to think all the bad press about the NHS is all hype to paint that bad picture and use as a method to cut and end services

Comment

[CENTER][B]Carers struggle to exercise lasting power of attorney[/B]
                [/CENTER]

As Carers Week highlights the unpaid workforce of 6.5 million we look at one of many frustrations: getting banks to recognise your lasting power of attorney. The number of unpaid [URL="http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/carers"]carers[/URL] in the UK, who shoulder the responsibility of looking after a frail, ill or disabled friend or relative, stands at 6.5 million, and is set to rocket in the next couple of decades, according to figures from Carers UK. "We estimate that it will hit 9 million by 2037 as a result of our ageing population, and the fact that people are living longer with disabilities and long-term health conditions," says Steve McIntosh, policy manager for Carers UK. "More and more of us will need help and advice to cope with the pressures caring puts on our careers and on [URL="http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/family"]family[/URL] finances." The number of carers providing free support has already climbed by 600,000, or around 11%, in the past decade. This hidden army, which saves the nation a staggering £119bn each year, is the focus of Carers Week, starting on 10 June, which is a partnership of nine charities aimed at increasing awareness of the emotional, physical and financial impact of taking on this role....[URL="http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2013/jun/09/carers-lasting-power-attorney"][B]Read more Here[/B][/URL]

Comment

[B]Disability Living Allowance changes begin[/B]

A new system of benefit payments affecting disabled people has started rolling out across Britain. [URL="http://www.gov.uk/pip-checker"]Personal Independence Payments (PIPs) [/URL]are replacing Disability Living Allowance (DLA) as part of the government's welfare reforms. The government claims PIPs will target resources more effectively towards those who need it most. But a charity warns that almost a fifth of claimants - 600,000 people - could eventually lose their benefits. Since April, thousands of new claimants in the north of England have already applied for PIPs. Now, new claimants of working age in the rest of Britain will also have to apply for a PIP, rather than DLA. Northern Ireland will join the system later. From October, PIPs will be extended further, when the government will start to re-assess existing claimants, but only those who circumstances have changed. The vast majority of the 3.2 million people who currently claim DLA will not be re-assessed until 2015 or later......[URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22804563"][B]Read more here[/B][/URL]

Comment

[CENTER][B]Public spending watchdog 'fuels intergenerational row'[/B]
                    [/CENTER]

[B]The OBR said pressure on public finances will be intensified by increased spending on the elderly, provoking calls not to reduce the debate to "free TV licences" [/B]

The Office for Budget Responsibility warned earlier today that more savings were needed to bring public spending under control, focusing on the costly impacts of pensions and health care as society ages. This drew swift responses from other commentators including Baroness Sally Greengross, former Director General of Age Concern and currently chief executive of think tank the International Longevity Centre. She said: "Older people already contribute billions through volunteering and care. Creating the right incentives and support could deliver even greater contributions. The costs set out today are not inevitable. Increasing the average retirement age by just one extra year, could bring in around £13bn or 1pc of GDP." She said: "The cost of our ageing society is not about the free TV licence or the bus pass, yet recent political debates have focused on these issues to the exclusion of the long term challenges." She accused the Government of "not having an adequate strategy to respond to the challenges posed.".....[URL="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/10185782/Public-spending-watchdog-fuels-intergenerational-row.html"][B]Read more here[/B][/URL]

Comment

[CENTER][B]Cap on care costs will help just 1 in 8[/B]
                      [/CENTER]

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]Just one in eight pensioners will benefit from the much-vaunted ‘cap’ on care costs, ministers have admitted. The Coalition pledged earlier this year that no one will have to spend more than £72,000 on care home fees and charges for home helps – with the state stepping in to pay the rest after this cap is reached. Campaigners warned that setting the cap at such a high level – more than double the £35,000 recommended by an independent review – would mean that many pensioners would die before ever receiving help. Yesterday, the Department of Health confirmed those fears by revealing that just 12 per cent of older people would benefit......[URL="http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article-2367559/Cap-care-costs-help-just-1-8-pensioners-die-reaching-72k-limit.html"][B]Read more here[/B][/URL]

[/COLOR][/LEFT]

Comment

[B]Housing benefit challenge dismissed by High Court - Bedroom Tax - Read more at aad forum Blog pages: [URL="http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/entry.php?2209-Housing-benefit-challenge-dismissed-by-High-Court-Bedroom-Tax"]forumsHousing-benefit-challenge-dismissed-by-High-Court-Bedroom-Tax[/URL][/B]

Comment

[CENTER][B][SIZE=2][SIZE=3]Thousands of care home residents face uncertainty as one third of businesses risk collapse under a mountain of debt[/SIZE]
                          [/SIZE][/B]
                          [SIZE=2]
                          [/SIZE][/CENTER]
                          [LIST]
                          [*=center][SIZE=2][B]1,449 care home businesses are at high risk of going under[/B][/SIZE]
                          [*=center][SIZE=2][B]Southern Cross, the largest operator, went bust in 2011[/B][/SIZE]
                          [*=center][SIZE=2][B]700 companies have liabilities worth more than their assets[/B]
                          [/SIZE] [/LIST]
                          [CENTER][SIZE=2]
                          [/SIZE][/CENTER]
                          [SIZE=2]One in three care home businesses is at risk of going bust due to ‘off-the-scale’ levels of borrowing, according to research published today. An examination of the accounts of nearly 5,000 companies, responsible for 20,000 care homes across the UK, will ring alarm bells following the collapse of Southern Cross. Formerly the largest operator in the sector, Southern Cross went under in 2011 when it was unable to pay a £250million rent bill, bringing misery and anxiety to more than 30,000 elderly residents and their families......[URL="http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article-2401970/Thousands-care-home-residents-face-uncertainty-businesses-risk-collapse-mountain-debt.html"][B]Read more here[/B][/URL][/SIZE]

Comment

cut backs are causing BIG problems at these homes, where my O.H. works = Adult Special Needs, they are struggling and the workers had one pay rise in 5 years albeit £5.00 minus tax, the home have near bed person who needs two people to manuvere during the night/day and constant mointoring of the other residents, which at times not good, and needs constant observations etc etc, the social just come along and agree then nothing happens, and recently the patient ( no fault of his won gets adjetated of course because of restriction) and lashes out as a reaction when one person tries to clean him up, no extras for needs is forthcoming and this problem is ongoing and has been for the last many years with departed patients.

Answer:- Cut the pay of the Polititions who are not doing a job for which they are paid for, and put kindergarden in their place who will do a 100% better job of it.

Comment

[CENTER][B]Elderly care crisis claims a million family homes[/B]
                              [/CENTER]

[B]More than one million families have been forced to sell their home in just five years to meet the cost of paying for residential care, new figures have revealed.[/B]

The estimate, based on polling measuring families’ individual experiences, is far higher than Government projections have previously suggested. But charities and pensions experts said it represented one of the first realistic attempts to quantify the scale of the hidden care funding crisis in the UK. And they claimed that it showed that the Government’s long-awaited overhaul of the social care system in England – including the introduction of a cap on bills – does not go far or fast enough to address the crisis thousands of families are facing. Jeremy Hunt, the Health Secretary, described the figure as “concerning” but insisted that it served to underline the need for the Government’s reforms......[URL="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/10283259/Elderly-care-crisis-claims-a-million-family-homes.html"][B]Read more here
                              [/B][/URL]

Comment

[CENTER][B]Housing benefit challenge set for Appeal Court[/B]
                                [/CENTER]

The legality of housing benefit changes is to be challenged after lawyers for 10 adults and children with disabilities won the right to take their cases to the Court of Appeal. Since April, social tenants deemed to have too many rooms have had benefit payments cut. Critics call it a "bedroom tax" but the government says it is ending a "spare room subsidy". The appeal is against a High Court ruling in July that upheld the legality of the benefit changes. Ministers say the change will save £500m. The cases are said to illustrate the serious impact of the regulations on disabled people up and down the country in social housing with critics saying the changes unlawfully discriminate against weak and vulnerable people. Under new "size criteria", tenants with one spare bedroom have had a payment reduction of 14% and those deemed to have two or more spare rooms, a reduction of 25%. The Department for Work and Pensions says local councils are being given discretionary housing payment funding so they can help vulnerable residents with all the welfare housing changes, including disabled people affected by the removal of the spare room subsidy......[URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24284470"][B]Read more here[/B][/URL]

Comment

Working...
                                X