GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Debt with Disability News Articles - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Debt with Disability News Articles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Debt with Disability News Articles

[CENTER][B]As long term care costs soar, how will you fund residential care? [/B]
    [/CENTER]

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]The cost of long term residential care for the elderly is set to increase dramatically according to new research from LV=, who predict that by 2025 the annual cost of care will be £33,000 per person. Tightening eligibility criteria for funding has meant that of the two million older people in England with care-related needs, 800,000 do not receive any formal support to pay for their care. Age UK estimates that local government spending cuts will push this figure to one million over the next three years. So if you find you have to fund part or all of your care yourself, what help is available?
    [LEFT][COLOR=#000000][B][B]Help from your local authority [/B][/B]

Your local council must assess the needs of anyone who appears to be in need of any form of community care. They will assess your needs compared with local eligibility criteria which can vary widely depending on where you live. According to Age UK, four fifths of councils now only provide care to those with either substantial or critical needs and anyone who doesn’t meet the eligibility criteria of their local council has to pay for any care they need....[B]Read more here--: [URL="http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/pensions/article-2141341/As-long-term-care-costs-soar-fund-residential-care.html"]As long term care costs soar, how will you fund residential care? [/URL][/B]
    [LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
    [/COLOR][/LEFT]
    [/COLOR][/LEFT]
    [/COLOR][/LEFT]
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

[CENTER][B]Queen's speech 2012: Draft bill on social care announced[/B]
      [/CENTER]

A draft bill on overhauling care and support for elderly and disabled people in England has been announced in the Queen's Speech.
      The bill will put "people in control of their care and give them greater choice," ministers say. The contentious issue of how social care is paid for is still unclear. This week, charities and the Local Government Association called for radical change to prevent people being left "living in misery and fear". Discussions are currently taking place between the political parties on how social care should be reformed. A White Paper was expected before Easter, but is now due to be published later this month or in June.

[B]'Simplify' the law[/B]
      A Department of Health source said the government was determined to push ahead with plans to tackle social care, but this would take time. The draft bill would aim to simplify the law on social care, which is currently spread across "at least a dozen acts".Funding for social care remains the most divisive issue....[B]Read more here--: [URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18003629"]Queens speech 2012: Draft bill on social care announced[/URL][/B]
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

[CENTER]Disability benefit change needed, says Iain Duncan Smith [/CENTER]

Planned changes to disability benefits will go ahead, the Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith has said, insisting that reform is needed. It has emerged half a million people are to lose the Disability Living Allowance over the next four years. But Mr Duncan Smith told the Daily Telegraph the number of people claiming it had risen by 30% in recent years, with many people "allowed to fester". Labour said he was approaching reform with "contempt and carelessness". Disability Living Allowance can be claimed by people with a physical or mental disability. This has to be severe enough that they need help caring for themselves or have difficulty walking. It can be claimed irrespective of employment status, and is not usually affected by savings or income.....[B][URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-18054734"]Read more here[/URL][/B]

[B]Makes you sick.....!![/B]

Comment

• David Cameron planning an extra £25bn of welfare cuts

This has just been announced in the news. Pensioners, disabled, part time workers, ex servicemen and all will be affected. There is also going to be more cut off housing benefit, the plans suggest. This next cut will begin in 2014. It's a severe cut off the whole benefit system.

[url="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9268411/David-Cameron-considers-extra-25bn-of-welfare-cuts.html"]David Cameron considers extra £25bn of welfare cuts - Telegraph[/url]

Comment

[CENTER][SIZE=2][B]Care home providers pocket millions as they continue to charge sick residents £700 a week when they are in hospital[/B][/SIZE][/CENTER]

[LEFT][SIZE=2]Sick care home residents are being deprived of £700 a week for rooms and services they do not use because they are in hospital. [/SIZE][SIZE=2]These vulnerable elderly people are being charged for board, food, laundry services, power, and daily nursing they never received — allowing care home providers to pocket millions of pounds of extra profit. There are more than 400,000 care home residents in Britain. Official NHS figures show more than five million over-65s were admitted to hospital last year, spending an average of ten days bed-ridden. And 80,000 stayed longer than a month. [/SIZE][SIZE=2]Though there are no figures showing how many of these are care home residents, thousands will be....[/SIZE][URL="http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2144870/Care-home-providers-pocket-millions-continue-charge-sick-residents-700-week-hospital.html"][SIZE=2]Read more here:[/SIZE][/URL][URL="http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2144870/Care-home-providers-pocket-millions-continue-charge-sick-residents-700-week-hospital.html"][/LEFT]
            [/URL]

Comment

• Re: David Cameron planning an extra £25bn of welfare cuts

[QUOTE=twinkie;185784]This has just been announced in the news. Pensioners, disabled, part time workers, ex servicemen and all will be affected. There is also going to be more cut off housing benefit, the plans suggest. This next cut will begin in 2014. It's a severe cut off the whole benefit system.

[URL="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9268411/David-Cameron-considers-extra-25bn-of-welfare-cuts.html"]David Cameron considers extra £25bn of welfare cuts - Telegraph[/URL][/QUOTE]
              Hi Twinkie

I've moved your post, here - just to keep in line with other posts, rather than having so many indivdual thread posts.

Comment

Mental Health Debate on BBC Parliament Channel right now looks interesting

Comment

Not sure if this is the best place to post - I am looking to help my sister and her husband , who is serving in the forces and is going to get discharged on medical grounds shortly, losing his home ( married quarters),his chance of promotion which he was working on when he got injured,the full pension due to him from the forces,the final golden handshake which was due to him in 18 months time when he would have finished his service and his and his familys dream of a new life in New Zealand.
                  Pretty harsh but more so when it came to light that the forces had recomended that he take a lesser part in certain physical exercises, due to his ongoing medical issues.
                  Any ideas anyone?

Matty

Comment

[CENTER][B]As key reform stalls, families face prospect of £30,000 a year shortfall for care home bills[/B]
                    [/CENTER]

Dithering over vital reforms on long-term care will leave tens of thousands of families facing potentially ruinous bills. Delays by Government mean any changes to the way care is funded are not now likely to be implemented until at least 2015. Good financial advice can ease the burden, but many will still see the bulk of their wealth going on bills if they need care for several years. At present all but the poorest must pay for their own care in full. Proposals to overhaul the care system have been repeatedly delayed. A White Paper was originally due last December, and again this month. It may now be published next month. But it will duck the vital issue of how to pay for long-term care. Instead, proposals on funding are likely to be put off until next year.The Government appointed a Commission on Care Funding in 2010, led by respected economist Andrew Dilnot. This looked at ways to spread the burden of care more evenly....[B]Read more here: [URL="http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/pensions/article-2163583/As-key-reform-stalls-families-face-prospect-30-000-year-shortfall-care-home-bills.html"]As key reform stalls, families face prospect of £30,000 a year shortfall for care home bills
                    [/URL][/B]

Comment

[B]Homes and hospitals 'fail' adults in care[/B]

Almost half of all care homes and treatment centres in England are failing to protect adults with learning disabilities, a report says. A [URL="http://www.cqc.org.uk/public/news/half-learning-disability-services-did-not-meet-government-standards"]Uannounced inspections were carried out by the Care Quality Commission (CQC),[/URL] England's health regulator. Nearly half of the 145 hospitals and care homes inspected by the CQC did not meet required welfare standards. This comes after abuse was [URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-16963406"]uncovered by BBC Panorama at the Winterbourne View hospital near Bristol.[/URL]The inspections focused on examining the general care and welfare of people who used the services as well as whether people were safe from abuse. The CQC found 48% of the inspected premises did not meet required standards in terms of care, welfare and whether people were safe from abuse. The commission also said independently-run facilities were twice as likely to fail as those run by the....[B]Read more here: [url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18581253"]BBC News - Homes and hospitals adults in care[/url][/B]

Comment

[CENTER][B]Have a care for the carers forced to give up work[/B][/CENTER]

Of Britain's 6 million carers, one in five have left full-time employment to look after an ailing relative. In 2009 Paula Knight was an assistant marketing director for PricewaterhouseCoopers in London. In her early 40s, Knight's life was carefree. But during a two-week holiday to New York she took a call from her mother: her dad was in hospital having suffered a stroke. From her mum's voice she could sense something else was wrong – her mother's mental illness, paranoid schizophrenia, had returned. Knight had to cut short her holiday and, as it would turn out, her career. Returning to her parents' home in Worthing, West Sussex, she found her father seriously ill in hospital and her mother equally unwell at home. "Unfortunately Mum had alienated all of their friends and neighbours because of her suspicion problems. So it was really just me trying to deal with it," Knight says.....[B][URL="http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/jun/29/carers-forced-give-up-work"]Read more HERE[/URL][/B]

Comment

[CENTER][B]Young disabled people failed by estate agents and property websites[/B]
                          [/CENTER]

Charity report blames failure to understand needs of wheelchair-users and what makes an accessible property.

Estate agents and [URL="http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/housing"]housing[/URL] websites are preventing young, disabled people from moving home and living independently because they fail to understand their situation or provide crucial information about accessible [URL="http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/property"]property[/URL], a new report has warned. The study accuses agents of exacerbating the property crisis by being "oblivious" to the practical issues around disabled living – in some cases even taking wheelchair-users to view properties that are up flights of steps. The findings are based on the experiences of 200 disabled young people who related their dealings with estate and letting agents, local authorities and private landlords. They found that many had little or no understanding of accessible property, failing to list relevant features such as step-free access on their websites and not understanding the need for essential facilities such as fully accessible bathrooms. The study, Locked Out, which will be published in parliament at a meeting of the all-party parliamentary group for young disabled people, has been drawn up by the Muscular Dystrophy Campaign's group of [URL="http://www.mdctrailblazers.org/"]Trailblazers[/URL] – a 400-strong group of disabled 18-30-year-olds that campaigns on key issues affecting disabled people. Many said they had been forced to search through thousands of properties individually, as leading property and home share websites failed to offer a search shortcut for...[B]Read more here: [URL="http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/jul/04/young-disabled-estate-agents-property"]Young disabled people failed by estate agents and property websites
                          [/URL][/B]

Comment

[CENTER][B]Social care costs cap wins favour [/B]
                            [/CENTER]

Legislation to change the funding of social care for elderly and disabled people in England could be introduced during this Parliament, Health Secretary Andrew Lansley has said. In plans out this week, the government will agree in principle to a cap on what people pay towards their...[B].Read more from AAD Blog here: [URL="http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/blog.php?b=1376"]Social care costs cap wins favour - allaboutFORUMS[/URL][/B]

Comment

[CENTER][B]Social care cap delayed as cheaper option sought[/B][/CENTER]

Ministers have refused to fully commit to a cap on care costs which the elderly and disabled must pay in England, saying they need to explore cheaper options first. A review last year proposed capping lifetime costs at £35,000 - but ministers said the current climate meant it had to look at other options. Other funding ideas include a higher cap or a fee to opt in to the system. The move has disappointed those involved in the social care system. The announcement on funding - unveiled alongside a white paper and draft bill which sets out other changes to social care - has long been anticipated....[B][URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18783157"]Read more here[/URL][/B]

Comment

[CENTER][B]Andrew Lansley: elderly will be able to opt in to social care insurance scheme[/B]
                                [/CENTER]

Scheme would allow people to pay premiums to ensure costs for care and accommodation would be capped. Elderly people will be able to voluntarily opt into a government social insurance scheme – paying premiums to the state to ensure their costs for care and accommodation would be capped – the health secretary has announced. The government says it will consider a "voluntary scheme" allowing people to "individually make the choice to be protected by a capped cost scheme". Sources say the taxpayer would have to bear the one-in-10 risk of "catastrophic" costs of above £100,000.

The scheme emulates but undermines the Dilnot report, which called for a system for the elderly whereby the total cost of care would be capped at £35,000 with support for old people extended to those with assets of £100,000, up from the current limit of £23,250. So-called "hotel costs" – to pay for food and beds in residential homes – would be limited to £7,000-£10,000....[B]Read more here: [url="http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/jul/11/andrew-lansley-social-care-insurance"]Andrew Lansley: elderly will be able to opt in to social care insurance scheme | Society | The Guardian [/url][/B]

Comment

Working...
                                X