GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script My Felt flat roof needs replacing. - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Felt flat roof needs replacing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Felt flat roof needs replacing.

Felt
    Built up felt roofing consists of two to three layers of bitumen sheet that have been bonded together using either hot bitumen or adhesive. With an average life expectancy of 15 to 30 years, flat felt roofing is economical but has a tendency to crack as it ages and the temperature changes.

PVC single-ply membrane
    PVC single-ply membrane is vinyl chloride monomer (VCM); the gas is polymerised to produce a vinyl resin that is then compounded to produce a material known for its flexibility, durability and colour options. Suitable for all flat roof constructions and situations, they are ideal for domestic, commercial and industrial flat roofs and are known for their value for money.

I've been recommended the PVC roof...it's £400 more expensive then the felt but comes with a 20 year guarantee...

Anyone got any past experience ? Is it worth the extra ?
    Last edited by Deepie; 1 March 2014, 17:23.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: My Felt flat roof needs replacing.

my hubbies a builder and e half a felt flat roof, about 15yrs now , but he says that the new PVC/ rubber is better but MUST be done by a professional xx
    if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Whats it for?

Shed, Outbuilding,?....

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post
        Whats it for?

Shed, Outbuilding,?....
        House above two bedrooms....

Comment

Ours is over the kitchen extension its been fine

Comment

No experience, but would go for the better quality stuff in that case. If it was just a shed / out building, personally I wouldn't be too fussed.

Comment

Originally posted by nanna58 View Post
              he says that the new PVC/ rubber is better but MUST be done by a professional xx
              What you saying ? I'm not a professional......

Comment

Flat felt roofing is only as good as the installer also. PVC is one option, there are others. PVC singly ply could puncture, but then so could any single ply (EDPM is another one I've heard of).

Asphalt roofing has a very long life span but might make your roof look like a road

You will be spending a fair bit of money, so I'd do a lot of research Deepie. I don't have any personal experience, only what I've read or heard from surveyors in the past.
                If happy little bluebirds fly, beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Deepie View Post
                  What you saying ? I'm not a professional......
                  Would I ?

Comment

Good thread as we have to replace a roof in the summer.

Comment

My building insurance is specific as to the materials it expects to be used on a flat roof in order to provide insurance cover. Is yours?

In my experience it's never the flat roof covering that's the problem it's always the flashing round the edges.

Comment

Or a pin prick of a hole that no one can find!

Comment

Originally posted by planB View Post
                          My building insurance is specific as to the materials it expects to be used on a flat roof in order to provide insurance cover. Is yours?

In my experience it's never the flat roof covering that's the problem it's always the flashing round the edges.
                          My insurance is combined building /contents cover along with public and employers liability.
                          all they say is the flat roof has to be no more then 20 % of the combined roof area.

This felt roof must be at least 25 years old......the storms we've had this year has taken its toll.....

Damp patch has now appeared on the ceiling

Comment

Originally posted by Deepie View Post
                            .the storms we've had this year has taken its toll.....
                            If it's storm damage causing the problem couldn't you claim the repair/replacement of the roof and the redecoration of the interior ceiling costs under your buildings insurance? Storm damage is usually a recognised peril

If you can name a day/night when there was a particularly bad storm which cause the water penetration you should be ok. Insurance companies double-check historical weather conditions with the Meteorological Office so you need to be accurate on the date(s).

They could argue that your roof was already in a poor condition but you would say that it was fine until the incident. Which is true if you've not had water ingress on your ceiling before the storm.

Comment

Originally posted by planB View Post
                              If it's storm damage causing the problem couldn't you claim the repair/replacement of the roof and the redecoration of the interior ceiling costs under your buildings insurance? Storm damage is usually a recognised peril

If you can name a day/night when there was a particularly bad storm which cause the water penetration you should be ok. Insurance companies double-check historical weather conditions with the Meteorological Office so you need to be accurate on the date(s).

They could argue that your roof was already in a poor condition but you would say that it was fine until the incident. Which is true if you've not had water ingress on your ceiling before the storm.

Comment

Working...
                              X