GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Deposit not in any Rent Deposit Protection Scheme - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deposit not in any Rent Deposit Protection Scheme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deposit not in any Rent Deposit Protection Scheme

Hi all,
    A friend has had a rented property for the past 10 months and wants to move out at the end of the tenancy (end of Mar). He has not got the internet.
    He has verbally asked the agent to advise him where his tenancy deposit is held and has been told it has been passed to the landlord's bank account. It has not been put in any scheme as the landlord considers this to be expensive.
    I have read somewhere previously that a landlord can put the deposit into a scheme right up to the last day of the tenancy. My friend is worried because he has found out the landlord kept around half the previous tenant's deposit, apparently it was kept for cleaning charges but no cleaning was ever done, My friend will need to give his 2 months notice on 31/01/2011 as he should move on 31/03/2011.
    He is worried about withholding his last months deposit in case the agent blacklists him or registers a debt or default against him, which would make it difficult to get another tenancy. It is supposed to be against the law not to have a deposit in a scheme but if the landlord can put it in a scheme on the last day of the tenancy it seems pointless having such a law.
    My friend tells me the agent or landlord never gave him an inventory and he believes this was deliberate as the agent rang him on Christmas eve to say he wants to come and inspect the property in the new year. Sounds a dodgy outfit to me and I think my friend is right to be concerned as to how this tenancy could end.
    Can anyone advise what his best option would be. Should he contact Trading Standards, his local council or a CAB, Which is the correct approach.
    Thanks
    loring

Re: Deposit not in any Rent Deposit Scheme

Hello I think your friend is going guns blazing here for no reason... Firstly where does he live England? Or Scotland? the rules are different.

Secondly, the landlord has every right to inspect the property and your friend has every right to be there and they can mutually come to an agreement... or disput.

The agent just cant register debt of defaults just like that so dont worry!

Also, are you sure the other place didn't need cleaning you are going off hearsay and so is your friend-- I have had some property back in canada and my tennants used to not appreciate how expensive it was to get stains or to deep clean a place for a new tennant.

Again why is he so worried unless hes done something wrong-- Trading standards have nothing to do with this!

Comment

I think your friend should have discussed an inventory PRIOR to moving in! and how long has he lived there im sure he has had inspections before generally agents inspect 1 x per 4 months.

Comment

Hi jen
        thanks for your response. My friend lives in England and I have spoken to him this morning to get you some answers to your queries.
        The house did need cleaned when my friend moved in, the agent sent a cleaner to the flat 5 weeks after the guy moved in, a bit late do you not think. It cost the previous tenant £400 ( not hearsay my friend and the previous tenant are friends he seen the letter and cheque sent by the agent to the previous tenant ) and my friend had to do the cleaning free of charge so that he could live in the place. There are no expensive carpets to clean in this flat it is all wooden flooring.
        The agent kept promising he would drop the inventory at the flat, yes it is easy to say he should have ensured he had an inventory when he moved in but he was homeless at the time and was paying to have his furniture in storage.
        Of course the landlord / agent has a right to inspect the property, but what benchmark is he going to use for the inspection, the previous tenant did not have an inventory either.
        My friend has only improved the property at his own expense the agent promised to have works done but after 6 months told my friend the landlord had changed her mind and did not want to spend any money on the property.
        The agent has waited till the tenancy has nearly run out before to decide he wants to make a visit, this will be his first visit and he never made a visit during the previous tenancy. I think my friend is justified in his concerns about the agent's motive and how his deposit is being handled and will be handled when he moves.
        Have you any views on landlords / agents who deliberately break the law by not having the tenant's deposit placed in a Rent Deposit Scheme as required by the Housing Act. That was the main point point of my original post and I was looking help in finding the correct method to address this issue.
        Thanks
        loring

Comment

Hi

By Law, Landlords and Agents (in England and Wales) who take a deposit from tenants under an Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement (AST) on or after 6th April 2007 must protect that deposit using a government-approved tenancy deposit protection scheme.

The bold parts above tell you the legal element of things!

Taken from a useful source:

What happens if my landlord hasn’t protected my deposit, or given me the required certificate?

* In the first instance you should ask the Landlord/Agent. There may be an explanation.
          * If no reason is given, you can apply for a court order which will state that the Landlord (who is responsible under the law even if they are using an Agent) must either return the deposit or protect it in a government-approved scheme. The Court may order the landlord to pay you compensation equivalent to three times the value of your deposit within 14 days of the order.
          There's your answers then! You should be able to check online whether the deposit is secured within a scheme, the LandLord (or Agent) must tell you which scheme is being used, if any.

As for the cleaning bill, remember to remind your friend about fair wear & tear! Basically, any white goods or main furniture is expected to depreciate (show signs of wear & tear) but these costs cannot and should not be borne by you, that said there are some right dodgy landlords out there BUT you hold the key, as if you feel it needs deep cleaning then get it done prior to leaving yourself, then invite the landlord round and check they're happy with everything and then when you're both happy you know you'll get a full deposit refunded. If anything is amiss, or damaged then you offer to fix/replace it as it will invariably be cheaper!

Best of luck!
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Lettign Agent: Would give you the details & ID Registration when the deposit was given
            Link: DPR
            http://www.depositprotection.com/
            I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Re: Deposit not in any Rent Deposit Protection Scheme

And in fairness.... the letting agent is responsible for all this your friend should go through them not the landlord direct!

Comment

Originally posted by jen_br
                And in fairness.... the letting agent is responsible for all this your friend should go through them not the landlord direct!
                Well, if the landlord has made themselves known you can go through any/either/both if you wish! However, the flip side here, if the landlord breaks the law then you go after their agent as well, as the agent should be the ones keeping the landlord in line..... instance being if the deposit is not in the correct scheme, both the landlord and agent can be done for it...... nah
                I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by 5corpio
                  Lettign Agent: Would give you the details & ID Registration when the deposit was given
                  That is only one of the schemes mate, there are several and you need to search the database of the corresponding deposit.....

I'd be more prone to link to this, which is the main TDS body: ---> http://www.thedisputeservice.co.uk/

The Housing Act 2004 (Chapter 4, sections 212-5; & Schedule 10) made provision for both the protection of tenancy deposits and the resolution of disputes over their return. The Dispute Service has been awarded a contract by the Government to run one such scheme: The Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS).

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt
                    Originally posted by 5corpio
                    That is only one of the schemes mate, there are several and you need to search the database of the corresponding deposit.....
                    Cheers Matey, i only know of that one, as thats where my deposit is held and can change details, amend things, request etc.......
                    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thanks everyone for replies
                      It has taken a few days to contact my friend.
                      He tells me the agent agrees with the landlord not to put the deposit in a scheme, as it is too expensive. He also told me the agent told him verbally that a new bathroom was to be installed 2 months after he moved in, however the landlord decided later not to bother doing this work as it would "cost money". My friend has told me the bath has a hole in it, the wash hand basin has a large crack all the way round it and just about keeps the water in, and all the taps and soap dishes are totally corroded.
                      I have suggested to him that he withhold the last months rent at least and to take photographs of the bathroom for his records. It does not get any better this one.
                      It appears the agent and landlord work hand in hand, the landlord does not to be involved in anything that costs money and the agent takes his fee each month, does nothing for his fees and likes to steal a whack of the tenants deposits when they move.
                      I have told my friend to get out at the end of the tenancy and make sure he has his deposit in his bank.

Loring

Comment

yeah there are authorities that agents have to be registered with and i would be making some calls.

Comment

Sounds like good news as was quoted above he could get 3x his deposit for the landlord/agent not following the regulations and using a deposit scheme.
                          I hereby promise to treat Debt Collection Agencies with the same values that they treat me. UTTER CONTEMPT !!

Comment

Hi Jen and Billy
                            Thanks for your comments.
                            The agents paperwork, the windows of his very posh offices nor his internet site do not show he is a member of any professional trade organisation. Looks like he is a one armed bandit.
                            I have suggested to my friend he withhold the last months rent, I don't know if this would jeopardise his chances of making a successful claim so I have asked him to try and find a solicitor who gives a free half hour
                            consultation or go to CAB. I have not heard from him for about 10 days and he has no computer or internet.
                            Thanks
                            Loring

Comment

Working...
                            X