GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script bailiffs chasing sons council tax. - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bailiffs chasing sons council tax.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bailiffs chasing sons council tax.

Hi all, everything is fairly quiet on the personal front but had an issue arise regarding my eldest lad.

last week when we were out the baiiffs called hoping my son lived at our house.(he uses it for postal address).
    My daughter sent them packing but he left a letter for my son to contact them.
    He phoned them told them he had no money or assets and would make an offer of payment soon.
    One week after their visit we have just heard that (at least one of) our neighbours have had a letter asking if they know the whereabouts of our son who lived at our address and owes £xxxx in council tax.
    Obviously this has had an impact on our local reputation and really has nothing to with my present household.

Is this actually legal.

I will do a search but AAD has become my preferred source of comfort and backup.
    Last edited by CAPS ESC; 11 October 2014, 18:59.

Re: bailiffs chasing sons council tax.

Originally posted by CAPS ESC View Post
    One week after their visit we have just heard that all our neighbours have had a letter asking if they know the whereabouts of our son who lived at our address and owes £xxxx in council tax.
    Have you got a copy of that letter?

Does it specifically name your son and the amount of the alleged debt to the Local Authority?

Can you clarify if the letter was from the Council or from the bailiff company (more likely)?

Name and shame that bailiff on here please (only if you have the letter as proof obviously).

There could be numerous legal breaches depending on your response.

Comment

Hi Plan B, I thought (and hoped) that you might know a little about this.

Have you got a copy of that letter?
      Not yet. Hearing through a relative of a relative of a relative. (an hour ago) but will try to get a copy tomorrow.

Does it specifically name your son and the amount of the alleged debt to the Local Authority?
      It must do since that information came back to us, but we'll see.

Name and shame that bailiff on here please (only if you have the letter as proof obviously).
      On here and everywhere else we can think of.

I have noted their (CIVEA) code mentions confidentiality and data protection. I think the 1st call will be a complaint to the relevant council cc the bailifs

Comment

I have noted their (CIVEA) code mentions confidentiality and data protection. I think the 1st call will be a complaint to the relevant council cc the bailifs
        Let me get back to you on that

Right now you're suffering from acute embarrassment which has made your hackles rise (mine would too).

Let's get hold of that letter which you've heard about through a relative of a relative of a relative first. Then we can help you

The question is should your son be making the complaint for privacy reasons (DPA breach) or should you?

I think this is your son's issue not yours.

I also think you need to have words with your son . . . .

Comment

more outrage and anger than embarrassment ( although my future daughter-in-law will be feeling it, it was her father that was told 1st.

I agree we need the letter before anything else . so cu tomorrow. and thanks for being there.

Comment

well, got hold of the letter mentioned above and its not as bad as we thought. names and perhaps innuendo, no real specifics.
            I think bailiffs will always tend to be contentious and there was no need for this as he had already spoke to them.
            My sons life has been an utter mess for the last 10-15 years but he seems to be on the turn now and wants this matter settled. Its just a shame that this has come when he is having treatment for a dodgy heart which is obviously worsened by stress.

From what i can see the only issue is why send this out after contact had already been made and they had been told that he was a 'sofa surfer' at the moment. Probably 'embarrass the family' tactic.

I am helping him to sort out these priority debts and haven't informed him about this letter

SCN_0002.pdf

Comment

Bloody Bristow & Sutor again

got hold of the letter mentioned above and its not as bad as we thought.

My sons life has been an utter mess for the last 10-15 years but he seems to be on the turn now and wants this matter settled. Its just a shame that this has come when he is having treatment for a dodgy heart which is obviously worsened by stress.

. . . . I am helping him to sort out these priority debts and haven't informed him about this letter

I'm sorry to hear your son has heart problems so it makes sense not to tell him about this despicable (and apparently lawful) letter.

He's lucky to have you to help him sort this - I sort all my daughter's sh*t (she's 29) because it's what parents do.

Maybe we can help you to sort it too since who says they're chasing the correct amount

Comment

Thanks PlanB

i won't hesitate to ask for help as soon as I start to get the info coming back.

Comment

Working...
                X